Thursday, July 30, 2009

MORE Fun with Zucchini


HA! HA! HEE! HEE! HO! HO! (wipes tears of laughter from eyes) Okay, now that I got that out of my system, I made Zucchini Pie the other night. This recipe was given to me by my good friend Bridgie McBridgerton. Last summer Bridgie was kind enough to bring me a slice of her homemade Zucchini Pie, and it was love at first bite. In fact, if I'm remembering correctly, I did the equivalent of drunk dialing in the pie world. I called her with a full mouth and proclaimed to her voicemail, "Bridgie! I looooove yer pie!" She must have loved that creepy message, because she brought me another slice a few weeks ago. It was just as yummy, but honestly, anything less than a whole zucchini pie is not enough, so I had to make one for myself. This is some good stuff, dare I say nirvana? Here's the recipe:

1 cup peeled, cubed, cooked zucchini. (Takes about two cups raw to make one cup cooked)
1 cup evaporated milk
1 cup sugar
1 large egg
1 1/2 T. butter or margarine
2 T. flour, slightly heaped
1 tsp vanilla

Put all ingredients in a blender and mix at high speed until smooth. Pour into an unbaked 9" pie shell. Bake at 400 degrees F for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 and bake another 15-20 minutes (until crust is lightly browned and filling is not too jiggly).

Let the pie cool completely, then liberally sprinkle the top with cinnamon and nutmeg. Store leftovers (if any) in the refrigerator.

7/31/09 UPDATE: Per Bridgie, the name of this pie is actually Great Aunt Anne's Zucchini Pie. I brought this into to work today and it was gone within a few minutes. The devouring was followed by several requests for the recipe.


Oh, I almost forgot. John actually tried a bite. While he didn't exactly give it two thumbs up, he did said it tasted a little bit like pumpkin pie. It's more like sugar cream to me, but the fact that he didn't burst into tears and spit it out makes it a WIN!

12 comments:

Hank said...

Sugar cream pie?????

I gotta git my mom in the kitchen I tell ya what!

Boozy Tooth said...

I don't remember giving out that photo of Larry...

As for the pie, I assume you steam the zucchini? Roasting would probably make it too intense for a pie.

Bridgie McBridgerton? Seriously? Reminds me of my dear friends Garret McGarretstein and Barky McBarkingdale.

The Courteous Chihuahua said...

Alix, I just cooked the zucchini for 7-8 minutes in the microwave and it was fine. That is not her real name, it's just what I call her. You could ask me why, but I don't really have an answer. BTW, if you cut the pie into 16 slices, they are worth 3 points.

Boozy Tooth said...

Yay! I can deal with 3 points, even if you need a magnifying glass to find the 1/16 piece of pie.

Joanna Jenkins said...

Whoa, are you happy to see me or is that a zucchini!?!?!? What a crazy picture!
xo

Cakespy said...

That picture made me laugh til I almost cried.

MJS said...

Oh. My. PIE! I think I've died and gone to zucchini heaven. I sort of have a thing about pie.

The Courteous Chihuahua said...

Cakespy: I love you, too!!

Hello, MJS. Thanks for stopping by.

A Blog In The Rough said...

I just had zucchini bread, now I'll have to make some pie...oh and cake too. thanks for the recipe and love your chihuahua video :)

Joanna Jenkins said...

Thanks a million for reading and commenting on my blog! I really appreciate it! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you on the Giveaway. Don't forget, every time you leave a comment on a new post between now and August 16th you receive another entry!

I LOVE your profile picture. It makes me smile every time I see it!

xo

twinkle teaches said...

I am making this tonight! :) Love your blog.
Tina :)

Laura Marchant said...

Ok, that pic made me laugh!