Sunday, October 4, 2009

I'm Just Wild About Harry

If you read this, you already know I love Harry Connick, Jr.  I think he's talented, funny and handsome.  Simply put:  the total package.  Imagine my excitement when his new CD was released last week. 

Your Songs is a collection of standards - old and new - done in Harry's signature big band style. I made the mistake of reading a review of the CD first, which said:

"There's a little too much of a lounge lizard 
creeping into this collection of pop standards and 70s faves."  

I bought it anyway.  Fortunately, my memory is crap these days, and had forgotten all about the review by the time I got to listen to the CD.   It wasn't awful, but there was something not quite right, something I couldn't quite put my finger on.  What was it...?  And then the words LOUNGE LIZARD popped into my head.  I'm so sorry, Harry, but that's the God's honest truth.  I wanted to like it, I really did.  I wanted to like it because you sang the most understated, respectful version of the National Anthem on September 11:  

I wanted to like it, even after visiting your website a couple of weeks ago and found the O in Connick looked like this on the website banner:
I won't lie.  My bowels seized up a little when I saw that.  But I'll listen to the CD again. Did I mention I truly want to like it? Besides, I resigned myself long ago to the fact that if I discounted entertainers solely on the basis of their politics, I'd be stuck watching Chuck Norris and Kelsey Grammer in a remake of the Odd Couple at The Buck Creek Playhouse.  


Alix said...

Well.... At least your bowels seized up.

Where's the freaking Resolve when you need it!!?!??

Hank said...


Yep, if I let politics get in the way of my appreciation for fave artists, I would have kicked Carly to the curb a LONG time ago. (She welcomed the Clintons to Martha's Vineyard every year he was in office!)

Joanna Jenkins said...

I'm a big Harry fan too. Thanks for the advice on the new CD, I'll pass.

Midwest Mommy said...

When I reviewed it I put that I felt like I should be in a fancy dress in a cigar bar, lol.

The Courteous Chihuahua said...

Mommy, Did you review it on your blog? I don't remember seeing that.

Mommas Soapbox said...

LOL LOL.... You are too funny!

Joanne said...

Coming to the party late late late -- I LOVE HARRY!!! Wanted to see him so bad on Broadway but couldn't pay $400 for a play.

Thanks for posting - playing around with that photo thing - very cool.